Sunday, November 13, 2011

At our old church, I sometimes despaired because none of my kids seemed to be connecting even to the youth group, let alone to God (which is the point, after all). I can't really tell you what wasn't working for them about youth group there. The folks who ran it seemed kind, capable, faithful -- they planned lots of teen-centered activities. I can't put my finger on it. It simply didn't work for my kids. I kept reminding myself that "God has no grandchildren," and hoped that somehow He would help them find Him.

In our new church, they're finding much more of a connection. The youth minister is quite awesome, though again, I couldn't put my finger on why. Is she that different from the youth minister at the other church? I don't know. Is it that the church is smaller? I don't know. Is that it that they find the theology more in tune with our family's beliefs? I don't know--that's working for me and my husband, but are the kids that tuned into theology at this point?

Now this weekend, we had two complete extremes going on. My oldest is away at school in Massachusetts. She really wanted a connection with youth in a spiritual setting--but there wasn't a youth group at the Episcopal church. So she has joined the Unitarian youth group. I know some Christians would be appalled that I have "allowed" this to happen--my mother probably would be--but I know enough Unitarians to say that they are a pretty awesome group of people. If they're not Christian in the sense that I would define Christian, they are at least respectful, curious, spiritual and journeying. This weekend they had a "lock-in." When she was telling me about "midnight worship," she said, "Mom, I don't think they have the same definition of worship as we do." Apparently, midnight worship had to do with affirming each other through some activities--no, it's not worshipping God, but for this child, being involved in an accepting community is a good thing. She plans to return to our own youth group in the fall when she comes home.

My youngest was at a diocesan youth retreat at a retreat center. They walked the labyrinth, attended Eucharist, sang a lot, played a lot of games, memorized Bible verses, and sang some more. I think she had a blast. I can't predict the future, but if she continues as she is going, she will probably be actively involved in our church's youth group throughout high school. It's rewarding to her--personally, socially, spiritually. Heck, I can actually see her becoming a priest. But one step at a time . . . At any rate, the new church is working for her.

So out of the four, oldest and youngest are finding a spiritual path in our new church. Praise God!

As for the two in the middle, well, God has no grandchildren.


No comments:

Post a Comment