Saturday, October 2, 2010

Phone call with Mom

Mom is not happy about my family attending the Episcopal church, but to her credit, she's trying to understand and hope that the move brings us closer to God, even though she really doesn't think it's a good move. In her mind, I should just disregard anything in the RC church that I am troubled by, accept the theology (not realizing that there are points of theology I am troubled by), and stay.

She is trying. She has just asked two things: that I not talk to my dad, because he will use it as an excuse to tell her "I told you so" (he's not a church-goer any more); and that I not talk to my sister, because she is afraid I will try to convert her.

I'm not anywhere near trying to convert anyone. I'm not even going to convert myself. I am still RC, just an RC attending an Episcopal church. I'm quite sure becoming Episcopalian is not going to fix anything, anymore than staying RC is going to.

Current reading:

A BRIEF HISTORY OF THE EPISCOPAL CHURCH (David Holmes): Very interesting stuff on Henry VIII and the liturgial reforms of the 19th century, which I did not know about.

OUR FATHERS: THE SECRET LIFE OF THE CATHOLIC CHURCH IN AN AGE OF SCANDAL (David France): Journalistic retelling of the sex scandals of the late 20th and early 21st century RC church. The facts are things I mostly knew: many kids were abused by priests who were shuffled from parish to parish so that they could abuse more kids. The depiction of New England/Boston Catholic culture and the discussion of sexuality is fascinating.

GRACEFUL EXITS (Debra Campbell): Terribly disappointing. Very academic. I had hoped for something more along the lines of SOUL SURVIVOR, but this simply wasn't it. Ah well.