This wasn't a great seat in terms of being able to see the service. Our view of the altar was pretty much completely blocked by the lectern. BUT at the time for Communion, I realized what a great seat it was. As people left the communion rail, they couldn't help but make eye contact with us as they walked by. And so many people smiled or gave a little wave or other greeting. It made me feel great. It has only been a year since we made this monumental decision to join our new church, and we feel loved and at home.
More important than just community, however, the best part was right before communion. My husband turned to me as the priest invited all to communion, and said, "I love that prayer. It makes me feel welcome. I never felt worthy in the Catholic Church." It was funny because those are the exact words that have meant more to me than almost any others. My husband isn't one to talk much about faith or church or religion, but he mentioned this thing that I love, too. Here is the invitation:
This is the table, not of the Church, but of God.
It is to be made ready for those who love God
and who want to love God more.
So, come, you who have much faith and you who have little,
you who have been here often and you who have not been for a long time,
you who have tried to follow and you who have failed.
Come, not because I invite you: it is God, and it is God’s will
that you who want God should meet God here.
No comments:
New comments are not allowed.