Saturday, January 1, 2011

Happy New Year

In the RC church, New Year's Day is a holy day of obligation. It is the feast of Mary, Mother of God. I have always either gone to church or felt guilty about not going.

My new church doesn't even have a New Year's service, though I expect we will honor the New Year in some way tomorrow.

I do not know how I feel.

Christmas, too, gave me an odd feeling. If we had had a choice, we probably would have gone to the late service, which is a traditional one with lots of music and pomp and beauty and glorifying. I believe, though I can't be sure, that I would have felt peace there. Instead, because one of our kids was in the Christmas pageant, we chose to attend the Pageant service (family service) early in the evening. It was cute, but not particularly meditative. I am quite sure the families of the littlest ones got what they wanted, but I did not. I will have to remember that for next year.

In other news, my oldest child begins 2011 as she did 2010--in the hospital. I ask God to let this year be one of healing for her--please, God, guide us in the decisions we must make in the coming weeks.


No comments:

Post a Comment